ARgh.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What I Learned Today (vol. 1)

A new title. I know; I'm no good at this stuff. I think this is a keeper, though.

So, I'll just jump in.

Today I worked once again for WSDA calibrating the temperature probes in cold-storage rooms, which essentially involves riding around on a lift all day 30 feet in the air, confirming with the calibrator which probes were in ice water at the time and telling the lift operators when they could move on to the next probe. Anyway; I'll try to keep the storytelling to a minimum.

Number 1:

The number of mistakes one makes (or one's chance of making mistakes) is in no way diminished or affected at all by the complexity of the job one is doing.

That is, a person is just as likely to make a mistake when, say, taking orders at McDonald's as they are in doing heavy-duty math.

As a corollary, if you're doing something easy and you make a mistake, get over it and move on, and certainly don't feel worse about yourself because you're doing something simple. Everyone makes mistakes. You too. Sorry, but you do. Deal with it.

Number 2:

There is no difference between a person who possesses a piece of knowledge enabling them to take action and who does not take it and a person who does not possess this knowledge at all.

I'm not that much of a religious guy (I'm in it for the music) but I agree with the book of James 2:26 in that "faith without works is as lifeless as a body without breath." Today I was frustrated with the internet and I made my frustration known to my parents. My mom told me she knew where the number was, and I, like any other American, made some sort of comment implying that someone else could call, which is first-off, selfish and ludicrous because I was the one most annoyed and second, typical but ridiculously lazy.

But the most interesting thing was that while I was saying this, I had this thought in my head that there's no reason to be afraid of calling the company and, I'll be honest--I even had the temerity to think that it was foolish of my PARENTS not to call, since it was them paying for the service (at least, that's how I rationalized it). That's when I got disgusted with myself and realized that no matter what I might know or realizations I have come to, they are worth nothing if I do not act upon them.

ack. gotta go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home